Israel routinely maltreats Palestinians and children in its custody, which has been observed and reported time and again over the years. Israel, of course, always denies any wrongdoing. When caught red-handed or the attention is too great (or it is in imminent danger of being caught), it simply refuses to cooperate with monitors. In fact, Israel refused to cooperate with the UN Human Rights Council for some years and only recently agreed to participate in a review. What follows are just a few of the many reports written by NGOs or UN agencies relating to the systematic brutal and illegal treatment (in some cases amounting to torture) of Palestinian children in Israel’s military custody.
- April 2012 Defense for Children International issued an urgent appeal reporting torture was “common place” including interrogators using “severe acts of violence and threats of rape and electrocution.” Report (pdf)
- June 2012 a British delegation of lawyers issued a report which garnered a lot of press, Children in Military Custody revealed “unconscionable practices, such as hooding and the use of leg irons.”
- August 2012 Breaking the Silence- Children and Youth: Soldiers’ Testimonies 2005-2011. (pdf)
- March 2013 UNICEF issued a 26 page report accusing Israeli forces of torturing Palestinian children. Children in Israeli Military Detention, Observations and Recommendations (pdf)
- July 2013 U.N. Committee on the Rights of the Child (OHCHR) issued a ‘progress report’ alleging Palestinian children in Israel’s custody are ”systematically subject to degrading treatment, and often to acts of torture” (pdf)